Thursday, January 31, 2013

What works?

Time Magazine composed lists in 2011 and 2012 of some of the best blogs in those years.  What makes these blogs work?  Why were they so successful?  I believe it is a combination between proficient design skills and writing relatable material.  Some of these blogs were informative, others entertaining.  Either way they were all successful because they were relatable to their targeted audience. 
Visually most of these blogs were clean, organized, and easy to navigate.  No one wants to read a blog that will take them 15 minutes to find the information they are seeking.  Pops of color, pictures, and simple design elements are more effective. Visually I think the best blog of 2011 that demonstrates clean, organized, and visually intriguing content is, Listverse.  This site is colored beautifully and organizes a top ten list for different categories.  This may range from Top Ten artists of the year to Top Ten bests foods for you to eat.  The organization of the website is excellent and it is very easy to navigate in-between categories. I personally think the idea of this blog in itself is genius.  When seeking content on the internet we want a quick fast easy solution.  As “people of the screen” we are impatient.  This provides us with the “best of the best” in any category you may be researching or interested in learning more about.   I also think this blog works because of it has something for everyone.  A successful blog can please a wide range of online readers.
Contextually, I found that sweet and short seems to please a crowd.  People don’t want to have to search for information.  Blogs that were not wordy and almost journalistic worked for me more.  On the Time Magazine’s list for 2012 I enjoyed reading Design Sponge.  This blog works because it discusses design and art in an informative blunt way.  Often times when discussing all things art, we tend to be very long winded and wordy.  This blog although somewhat opinionated, is very direct and short.  It includes JUST the vital information on the topic and visual representation of that product.
My favorite blog is Undressed Skeleton.  When I ask myself why do I love it, the answer is simplicity.  I like it because I am interested in her story and can relate to her.  A good blogger should make it possible for many people to be able to relate to them.  Or, even just find their content intriguing.  The blog is visually beautiful.  If you enjoy living a healthy lifestyle, or want to learn how to be healthier I would recommend Undressed Skeleton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment